An ongoing project which began in autumn 2021, this series documents the presence of continual land developments occurring in Newcastle upon Tyne's Pilgrim Street and the lesser known associated areas. Owned by the Reuben brothers, Pilgrim Quarter as it has been rebranded by the property magnates, owes its name to the pilgrims who were visiting the nearby chapel of Saint Mary in Jesmond in the 13th Century.
Having undergone many transformations, the delicate fabric of the area is exposed through a series of palimpsest landscapes. Layers of history can be seen through the juxtaposition of modern day commercial enterprises against the surviving heritage of the city dating as far back as the Middle Ages.
This series has been commissioned by historian Dr. Shane McCorristine and is part of a wider project to commemorate the anniversary of Newcastle's former Gaol. Designed by John Dobson, it was one of the first prisons to adopt a panoptican-style framework, regarded as progressive at the time of its inception in 1822. The gaol was situated in the centre of Newcastle yet the institution has left traces across the city, from former execution sites such as the Town Wall and Moor to the foundations of the Tyne Bridge, where bricks were redistributed upon its demise.
Carliol Square Screen Print. Newcastle Gaol, 1921 / Taras Property Construction, 2022